July 2, 2013

this cast thing (a woe is me entry)

On Tuesday July 18th, I set out on a group run in Hyde Park area and came back with a broken elbow. I tried to convince myself that it wasn't broken by running the rest of the route and attempting to drive the manual transmission back home.  When I couldn't hold the keys in my left hand, I knew something was wrong.  I got a ride home that night, figured out who could watch the girls, and headed off to the ER for 4 hours of fun.
Christ Hospital was great and got me all patched up and sent on my way.  I got a splint, a sling, some pain meds, cd x-ray images, and was told to call an orthopedic to make an appointment that week.  I don't spend a lot of time in ERs but I think they did a great job.
I went to the orthopedic and had a fainting spell during the x-rays.  Apparently extreme pain does that to me.  But in order to rule out more serious neurological conditions- tests were ordered and more appointment scheduled.  So a 9:30 am appointment turned into me being home at 5:15.  It was really a horrible day, worse than the day of the actual break.  Oh yeah, this is also the day when the Jeep decided not to start.  David's mom watched the girls the entire day and my neighbor was my taxi-service.
The cast is on for one month.  The pain is mostly gone unless I try to do too much.  I cannot drive, or swim, or pick up O.  It has been rough.  The girls are getting stir-crazy, David is picking up slack and running himself ragged (busy time at work too), and I feel bad about adding burdens to his load and creating a lame summer for the girls.
The cast is green, I used to like green.  It's like wearing a winter parka and is incredibly itchy.  I can run but it is slower and I get feverishly hot and need or quit or pass out.  It is going to mess up my Fall training- can't coach with it on as it slows me down and stops me.

1 comment:

Nola said...

UGH! That is terrible! I am so sorry! What a sad time of the year to get a cast. I hope you can figure out some fun at home things to do with the girls.