June 13, 2013

My running

I started running the January after Olivia was born.  I was still heavy but I could hide it well, running a marathon was more of a bucket-list item than a fitness goal.  I didn't enter the running world slowly, I signed up for the Detroit Marathon (October 16th, 2011) and then had a date and a financial commitment forcing me into it.  I didn't like running.  But I did like how I felt emotionally after each run.  I felt focused yet mellow, perhaps I was too tired to feel anything else.
I didn't publish my early running career.  I didn't think it was that big of a deal.  I wasn't all that fast.  I told family and posted a few pictures- made one or 2 status updates about it.  My mind set was, "If everyone put aside 7 hours a week they too could complete a marathon."  I was proud when I crossed that finish line in Detroit, 5 and a half hours later.  But it was 5.5 hours later.  I did not like that time.  I was in pain AND I had been slow.  I wanted an either/or situation.  I wanted to be sore because I was blistering fast OR slow because I paced myself and raced smart.
I continued running.  I still sort of hated it.  I joined a training group and loved it.  I liked running with people.  I liked people.  I liked
the coaches that came to find me when I made a wrong turn, I liked someone helping me find my pace, I liked chatting and getting to talk to new people that would eventually be my "running family."
Fast-forward to today.  I am one of those coaches that gets to find people but I also help those people accomplish something they never thought possible.  I absolutely love it.  I ran several races that I am proud of this year.  Still not blistering fast.  I have become a smarter and more strategic runner.  I know to slow myself down and try to keep a nice even pace.  I am proud of my running now because I have improved leaps and bounds.  I even changed my face book picture to a running image.  This is me at the Flying Pig 2013.  I'm wearing my "COACH" shirt and high five-ing Rod- one of the coaches the found me in the early days of my running.  And I am smiling.  This race was a perfect one for me.It was taken by my running friend Vicky.  
 

No comments: