February 3, 2012

Dear Tamra Thacker

I did not get the toe shoes. That is all.
-Emily

But that is not really all. I signed up to be a research study guinea pig for one of UC's anthropology students. I met her at one of my running groups last Fall and she was looking for people that ran about 20-30 miles weekly and wanted to switch over to a minimal shoe. I thought, "whatevs" and signed on. Althought there is no monetary compensation, I got a new pair of shoes so I basically saved $100. I also get a CD of my MRI images at the end and I think that will make for some interesting screen time.
What I, as a highly trained guinea pig, must do: have a pre and post study MRI to see foot tendon and muscle change, run like I have been slowly incorporating the shoe into the routine (I have a color coded schedule and everything), record runs on a running log, come in for 4 lab visits and run on a treadmill for 90 second intervals with little reflective markers taped to my body. I'll be doing this for the next 3 months or so.

2 comments:

Raree (RAH-ree) said...

Cool! I wouldn't qualify for that kind of research just yet, but I think it'd be cool. :)

Tamra said...

Dear Emily,

I approve.

Tamra